The Transport Group are currently developing a new Vision together with an associated plan of action.
Check back here regularly for the latest update.
A Vision for the Future
To have a carbon neutral and timely transport system that meets the needs of Chepstow residents, visitors and those passing through Chepstow.
The Picture of the Future Travel in Chepstow
- Active Travel – where ever possible using active travel to get to destinations
- All schools the vast majority of students have walking/cycling to school
- Within Chepstow having a Walkable Neighbourhoods programme where the majority of walkable journeys are walked
- Increase bike usage in the town with the use of electric bikes, safer roads and bike routes.
- Construction of walking and cycle routes
- Chepstow be a destination for the active travel vacation
- Public Transport
- A regular train service which is timely and comfortable
- An integrated bus service serving Chepstow and the feeder towns
- Buses would be Hydrogen or electrically powered
- Park and ride
- A call on demand taxi service where numbers do not make buses viable
- Subsidies would make the use of public transport much more financially viable than using private transport.
- Car and lorries – last resort for transport and reduced by 50%
- Wherever possible car share and use park and ride
- All vehicles be electric or hydrogen
- Town centre be Vehicle free
- Tax on vehicles making it prohibitively expensive, reducing road maintenance and subsidising public transport.
- Change in work and travel patterns
- More work from home and increase of local small businesses reducing the amount of commuting
- More flexible work hours to ease congestion and demand at peak times
- Shopping locally and online reducing journeys outside Chepstow
- Whenever travelling use the transport pyramid using the highest method up the pyramid as possible for all journeys.